The annual tradition continues.
1.What did you do in 2011 that you'd never done before? Took a train to Boston; visited Wisconsin (Milwaukee, mainly); went to AWP; worked three jobs; signed up for Netflix; did a research project at the Smithsonian archives (for my dad); learned how to knit.
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions and will you make more for next year? I never remember my New Year's resolutions. Maybe I should start writing them here. This year I've so far resolved to read at least one poem per day. I guess I've already broken it though, since I came up with it on the 2nd. The other was to write something new every week -- a poem, short story, or piece of flash fiction. We'll see how it goes.
3. What countries did you visit? None. Just the one I live in.
4. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011? A "real" job.
5. What date from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? Rockabilly Fest in Vegas in April. Rum Rush on Hamilton St. in July. Caleb and Elaine's wedding. The narrow, winding roads and wonderful book stores all over Boston and the hot, hot heat in Milwaukee (along with their fantastic art museum). The chaos of AWP and the ridiculous happy hour parties at Mex. Not specific dates, just events/moments.
6. What was your biggest achievement of the year? My 4.0 GPA during a semester with two classes and three jobs. Somehow I still managed to sleep and have a social life in there too.
7. What was your biggest failure? Not being published anywhere (or really submitting anything).
8. Did you suffer illness or injury? Nothing a little antibiotic or cold medicine didn't cure.
9. Whose behavior merited celebration? Jake's, for sticking by me through the whole long-distance thing.
10. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Jake's, for not moving out here with me. :P
11. Where did most of your money go? Aside from rent, probably toward things I didn't need. Also, books.
12. What song will always remind you of 2011? Most of the songs on the first Florence + the Machine album. Also maybe "Lonely Boy" by the Black Keys. And "Heart Skips a Beat" by Olly Murs.
13. Compared to last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? I think happier, though the long-distance relationship isn't getting any easier.
ii. thinner or fatter? Thinner, by just a few pounds.
iii. richer or poorer? Well, I make more money.
14. What do you wish you'd done more of? Art. And travelling.
15. What do you wish you'd done less of? Wasting time on Facebook.
16. How did you spend Christmas? The day began at Jake's parent's and ended at my grandparent's with my mom. There was food and present-opening.
17. Did you fall in love in 2011? Not with anyone new.
18. What was your favorite TV program? I realize that I'll probably get some crap for this (as I already have), but Glee. It's such a fun show! I also watched/rewatched every episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
19. What was the best book you read? I couldn't name just one. I read a lot of books this year. Among the most memorable: The Help, The Kite Runner, The Bible (largely in part because it took me the whole year to read), The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Water for Elephants, and Firefly Lane.
20. What was your greatest musical discovery of 2011? Florence + the Machine. And Foster the People.
21. What did you want and get? Another job. A new computer and monitor, and a(nother) new camera.
22. What did you want and not get? A trip to NYC or New Orleans for New Year's Eve.
23. What was your favorite film of this year? Sticking solely to movies released in 2011, I really liked The Adjustment Bureau and The Help. The movie Water for Elephants was pretty good too. And, I liked the 8th Harry Potter, and the first part of Breaking Dawn was better than I expected.
24. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I spent the day in Washington D.C. with my friend/former roommate Maureen and a couple of her friends. We went to an Ethiopian restaurant for lunch and then to the Smithsonian. Also to a cupcake shop. I didn't do any real drinking/partying. I turned 25.
25. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Not having to take out thousands of dollars in student loans.
26. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011? Unmonitored. I didn't really think too much about it until the end of the year.
27. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Hm. None, really.
28. Who was the best new person you met? Probably Kay, my new roommate, though I met some pretty cool kids through my friend Jon when he moved to Hampden.
29. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011: I don't know that there's a single, standout lesson, but I did learn a lot about being alone vs. being lonely, and a lot more about how to be truly independent. I discovered that a lot of my opinions and worldviews are heavily influenced by my friends, and I've come a long way in discovering what I personally believe.
30. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. "I must become, the lion-hearted girl..."