Wednesday, August 25, 2010

My new friend Katie (who I met through Maureen) and I went rollerblading today; she took me to a park called Centennial Park that has a trail around a lake. It was something like 3 miles around, we figured... we went all the way around, but it was exhausting, especially since it was so hot. She has a pool though, in her back yard, and she told me to bring a suit so we could swim afterward. And we did. Very refreshing.

I had my second class tonight, a poetry workshop. We didn't do any actual writing tonight but we talked about some stuff related to poetry, and the professor gave us this assignment where we drew three "first lines" out of a cup and we have to write poems about them. My lines were "Another word for father is worry," "No matter how many times I try," and "I am going to carry my bed into New York City tonight." I don't know what I'm going to do with any of those yet.

The other night after I got out of my first class I was walking to Starbucks, and this guy (not a creeper, just a normal guy) driving down the road next to me rolled down his window and said, "This is like the fifth time I've seen you today! Are you in the MFA program?" I was like, "Yes, I am," and he said that he is too, a second year, and that he'd seen me by the building a bunch of times (I didn't recognize him, but I couldn't see him too clearly because it was getting kind of dark and he was in his car). He introduced himself, said he was sure he'd see me around and drove off. Well yesterday I got an email from him -- it turns out he runs the UB Theatrical Society (which I'd signed up to get info about at orientation) and wanted to know if I would be interested in an officer position. He said he liked to have another MFA person in the secretary position because they would have similar schedules and could meet to discuss meetings, projects, etc. more easily. He offered to buy me coffee or lunch one day so we could talk more about it. Could be a good thing to have on a resume if I decide to do it.

Tomorrow I work at the library 11-3 then I have Friday through Monday off since Monday is Labor Day. There's talk of a trip to a swimming quarry on Saturday (Katie and Maureen are going) but other than that I don't know what I'm going to do, except probably hang out with Jon a bit. And do homework and maybe a bit of grocery shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment