Tuesday, March 23, 2010

routines, routines, routines...

A friend of mine just got a job with the DNR here in MI, and one of the conditions to her being hired is a physical fitness test. Now, on paper it sounds pretty easy - the standards are always lower for women, and it seems like I recall having to do more than they require during the gym fitness tests in high school. What I remember from the DNR requirements were like 10 push-ups, 30 sit-ups, a half-mile shuttle run in 5 minutes, and so on.

My friend called me the other night, worried, saying she couldn't do the 10 push-ups. She's generally more physically fit than I am, so it got me wondering how well I'd do in this test. Today I decided to try it myself. I stretched out, limbered up, all that - I used to take dance classes, so I remember a fair amount of stretches; it feels good to do them every once in awhile (since I can't seem to get into any kind of regular routine). Well, I had a heck of a time with the sit-ups (the stipulation was that your elbows had to touch your knees) - I made it to 21 and had to stop for a breather before fighting my way through the last nine. Yeesh! What's worse though, I couldn't even do one push up. Not one. They make you lower yourself so that your chest is three inches from the floor and I didn't have the strength to get down that far. Pathetic. So, now I feel like I need to incorporate some kind of upper-body conditioning into my daily routine. Ugh! Like I don't have enough to do in one day. I'm terrible at new habits; it took me countless years just to remember to take my vitamins (almost) every day. I don't do so well at routines either. Might have to start making myself lists so I remember everything. I'm pretty good at lists...

-Vitamins
-Breakfast
-Shower
-work
-write something
-submit/edit something
-exercise!
-dinner
-learn/practice some scales on piano
-Sleep

There's just not enough time in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment