Monday, March 22, 2010

so it begins...

My last blog kind of bit the dust along with Haloscan's commenting system - well, that, and I never updated it - so I'm trying again. Fresh start and all that. I'm hoping that I don't fall into my usual trap of writing about my day, falling behind for several days and trying to catch up, meanwhile days turn into weeks then months, then I get discouraged and give up altogether. It's a problem I have when trying to journal on paper, anyway.

So, here's day one. I just got into an MFA program in Baltimore; I live in Michigan. So, now I have an excuse to completely uproot and move across the country; I just have to figure out how to finance it. Commence job searching. What a joke. Craigslist and careerbuilder, while useful, aren't really the tools to find a job in my field, apparently. Hopefully school will be an avenue for that. I am a little nervous, as for the most part I've lived within a two-hour radius of where I am now for my whole life. But I've always been a bit of a wanderer, with some kind of strange mindset that I don't really have roots. Probably comes from living in a broken home and blah blah blah. I don't mind it I guess. It's been a dream of mine to go to the "big city" and start some kind of successful life there. Boy, is it easy to come up with excuses not to go, but I know if I don't get past that and make myself do it now, I might not ever, and end up stuck here resenting this town more and more. So I'm looking for jobs not in my field, but still a step up from what I've got now.

That's the biggest thing on my mind now, this looming change in my future. There are lots of little things there too, but I'll save them for future entries.

No comments:

Post a Comment