Monday, March 29, 2010

So I've been coming upon this problem that sounds a little ridiculous. I think I may actually have too many friends. Case in point: Saturday night. I had, I think, four different options for how to spend my evening: my roommate was having people over, another friend was having a gathering in Bay City, a third set of friends were going out to Applebee's for drinks, and a final friend was coming up from Detroit (my Detroit friend got priority, since I see him the least). It could've been a case of the "I have plans so everyone wants to hang out" syndrome, but don't get me wrong: it makes a girl feel pretty cool to have that many people requesting her company.

It also kind of results in feeling like I don't really have a set "group." I've got my high school friends, my college friends, my Saginaw/coffee shop/bar friends (some of the groups overlap). I do like being a floater, if that's what you'd call it. I think it results in me being a little withdrawn from people too - always somewhere else to be (well, not ALWAYS). I don't always get to put the time and effort into individual friendships because I'm trying to spend a little time with everyone. But I suppose I should enjoy it while it lasts, because come the end of summer I won't know a soul in Baltimore. I think I'm up to the challenge of meeting new people; I've gotten more outgoing in my years of forced interaction via customer service jobs. And the strongest friendships I've made here will hopefully carry across the distance, right? Here's hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment